Wiccan Wisdom Forums

moon phases

Go Back   Wiccan Wisdom Forums > Bird's Eye > Witches Corner
Register FAQ Members List WWF Shop Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Witches Corner This is for general pagan topics/questions you can't find a forum for. If you're unsure where to post a pagan related topic, post it here.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Aquakneek

Aquakneek is on a distinguished road
Default alternatives to smoke and scents

Hi. As I have mentioned before, I have birds. Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems and cant handle smoke or strong scents very well. And yet, many rituals include candles,burning sage, or scented oils (those might be ok, Im double checking.) And some rituals I would like to have done around them...things like protection and cleansing rituals. Anyway, are there alternatives I could look into for these things? I know I could write my own rituals..but Im still very much a beginner and am not sure how a ritual should feel to me yet...so producing one on my own right now is hard. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Aquakneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Thebs
Follower of the twins

Thebs is on a distinguished road

In cleansing spells and rituals you can use saltwater or put a rock crystal or a rutile in water and use the water to cleans.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Pinkfluff
Freya's Chosen

Pinkfluff is on a distinguished road

Yeah you can use more water or earth based things instead of fire based like burning. Or you can use an LED light shaped like a candle, or use the herbs without burning them. You can boil herbs in water to make a quick infusion instead of burning them to make smoke too.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Alexandria
Hedgewitch

Alexandria is on a distinguished road

Know that there are always alternatives. What you'd want to use as an alternative depends a lot on what you're doing. As was mentioned, salt water is a standard in cleansing - I usually sprinkle the salt water with a birch whisk or branch, birch is a tree associated with purification (among other things). If you wanted to cleanse and protect, you could use a small bundle of rowan twigs to sprinkle the water. Protection charms can also be made out of rowan, and many other materials. Using herbs, plants, and stones leaves you with a lot of different options.

I would also consider picking a topic, say cleansing, and spending a bit of time researching a lot of different methods. There are tons out there. Make a list of some that you could do in your situation, then pick a few which really say "cleansing" to you. Spend some time looking at cleansing specific rituals. Think about what words, motions, visualizations make sense to you. A ritual should speak to you on some deeper level. You can preform a ritual written by a long time pagan who knows a lot about cleansing, but that doesn't make the ritual right for you. It's always good to make a ritual that fits you, that has symbols and ideas that speak to you. You can take bits and pieces from a few rituals and fit them together in a way that makes sense to you if you're not quite comfortable making a totally new ritual yet.
Alexandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Bright Wolf
Security

Bright Wolf is on a distinguished road

Of course there are alternatives. Having animals, I try to burn incense minimally and same with candles. I use alot of dry herbs, salt, garlic (powdered, not fresh), oils, etc.

http://thewiccantribune.blogspot.com/2011/07/today.html

That's a link to a post I made on my blog describing a simple protection spell that I perform monthly. None of the ingredients (which are simple and easy) have overpowering scents. That is, provided you use garlic powder or garlic oil instead of fresh garlic. It's surprisingly simple to find ways around killing your birds with smoke.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
Aquakneek

Aquakneek is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone! I feel more of a connection with water than fire so these ideas could work very well to my benefit. I am still beginning my research and have a lot to learn on things that can be used and what will work for me. I am just trying to make sure that as I begin...I dont endanger my animals and am protected myself. Blessed be.
Aquakneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
gabrielle004
Ceremional Mage and Witch

gabrielle004 is on a distinguished road

I think that as with most spells, your thoughts and emotions and your will-power is what makes the spell, not the tools. If you take a bowl of plain water and use your mind and will to charge it with cleansing, blessing energy, then you can use that water to cleanse and bless your home. Simple as that. I think most spells include smoke and incense because it's the most obvious, visual display of something surrounding something else, and that works for most people because we want our energy/spells to surround and effect something. Basic sympathetic magic.

gabrielle004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Bright Wolf
Security

Bright Wolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle004 View Post
I think that as with most spells, your thoughts and emotions and your will-power is what makes the spell, not the tools. If you take a bowl of plain water and use your mind and will to charge it with cleansing, blessing energy, then you can use that water to cleanse and bless your home. Simple as that. I think most spells include smoke and incense because it's the most obvious, visual display of something surrounding something else, and that works for most people because we want our energy/spells to surround and effect something. Basic sympathetic magic.
I agree, the most powerful magick is intention. You can have all the oils, herbs, and incense that you want but nothing is like your own mental power.

Consecrated water is great for a very basic cleansing.
You can add:
  • Salt
  • Powdered Garlic
  • Powdered Rosemary
  • Garlic Oil
For an extra boost.
(Any of them. A Few of them. All of them. None of them. Your choice.)